Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sweet Potato and Beet Hash with a Mixed Greens Salad

A dream of mine is to have a breakfast food truck. Minus the stress of being in the food business, I think it would be so cool to roam a city selling great breakfast food. From that, I hope you can tell I am a bit of a breakfast aficionado. From french toast, to pancakes, or a crazy omelet- I'm all about that early bird special to late Sunday afternoon brunches. I thought I should start on my breakfast collection of food blog recipes- although I have to admit I did eat this for dinner. But hey, why not bend the rules and have breakfast for dinner or dessert before your entree? My grandmother used to let me do that and I always felt so special for having something different for dinner, even if it meant a nice scoop of ice cream. Regardless of the time to eat this meal- a tasty dish is always important. And after my recent visit to my grandparents in Atlanta, Honey (my grandmother) told me " Sugar, you're jus the best darn little cook!" So like it or not, Honey decreed- I can cook.




Servings: 4 large servings

Ingredients:
2 sweet potatoes
4 beets (peeled)
1 shallot
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon of olive oil



Salad Ingredients:
1 bunch of dandelion greens
1 bunch of watercress
1 bunch of beet top greens
2 tablespoon of spicy brown mustard
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt, pepper, and garlic powder


Directions:

Using a food processor, shred your sweet potatoes and beets. Place them in a large bowl and generously season with salt and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and begin to lightly brown your diced shallot and garlic cloves.
Then add in the sweet potato and beet mix. Add olive oil as you see fit to make the hash a bit crispy. To help with the cooking, place a lid over the skillet to slightly steam the vegetables. Cook until the hash vegetables are tender.



Place the greens in a mixing bowl. Then in a smaller bowl whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss.

To assemble your plate- place the hash patted down on a plate. Then add the mixed greens on top and and egg as the last layer if wanted.
(If desired, cook an egg to your preferred style (I did a semi sunny-side up style) and place over your greens.)




Enjoy!
 

1 comment: