Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Chocolate Chia Banana Bread

Vegan baking round one.

This week I decided to finally commit and cook up a vegan recipe. Of course it was taste tested by my go to vegan friend- and approved. My vegan experience was of course an adventure, but so has been my past week.
At my job at a Hebrew School we tie-dyed with the class. During the project I looked up to see a kid had squirted some of the dye across the table and hit another kid in the face. Sometimes a little extra green polka-dots on your face can't hurt, right? Another odd occurrence of the week was when a fellow classmate proceeded to analyze Bella from Twilight and how she believes she has a mental disorder. Honestly I wasn't sure if the girl was embarrassed to be admitting she so deeply analyzed the story or proud that she had figured out an underlying plot of the book. Although I find myself constantly surrounded my quirky and comical moments, baking up a banana bread seems to normalize the week- until I made it vegan.
From my kitchen to your- enjoy a little quirk and veganism.



Ingredients:
3 ripe mashed bananas
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons of chia seeds + extra for sprinkling
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of instant coffee granules
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of soy or non-dairy yogurt
1/3 cup of cocoa powder
1/2 cup of non-dairy mini chocolate chips



Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine the mashed bananas, sugar, vanilla, instant coffee, cocoa powder, and melted coconut oil. Then add in the soy yogurt. Stir well.

Add in the chia seeds and allow the mixture to sit for 1-2 minutes.

In a medium bowl combine the baking soda and flour. Add this mix in batches into the wet ingredients. Once fully incorporated, mix in the mini chocolate chips.

Line a medium sized loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the pan. Before putting it into the oven, sprinkle some extra chia seeds on top of the batter. Bake for about 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment