Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Mexican Quinoa Salad

I love mexican food, and I am pretty sure I have stated this fact already and the fact that I can never find a good mexican restaurant by my house that serves good food, which is of course pre-judged on how their salsa tastes. To settle my cravings I create my own mexican food, which is probably better since I would rather eat more vegetables, avoid oodles of cheese, and have to tell a waiter please hold the sour cream (since it totally weirds me out , which I know, is totally irrational- but then again I have an irrational fear of velvet).  For those mexican cravings, this quinoa salad is a healthier alternative that still packs great flavor and a kick of heat. On another high note, this recipe has been mom approved (my hardest critic), so hopefully you enjoy the recipe just as much as her.



Servings: about 5

Ingredients:

1 large tomatillo
1 large vine tomato
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 small jalapeno
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup of quinoa
1 1/2 cups of corn
1 1/2 cup of black beans
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
Salt to taste



Directions:

Combine 1 cup of dried quinoa to 2 cups of water. Bring the mix to a boil and the lower the heat to a simmer. Cover the pot and allow the quinoa to cook for about 15 minutes and fluff with a fork once it is done cooking and all the water is absorbed.

In a dry pan, add the corn and allow it to roast for about 10 minutes.



In a large bowl combine the diced tomatillo and tomato, the red onion, black beans, cilantro, and jalapeno.
(Note: when chopping the jalapeno, only add the amount of seeds from the jalapeno depending on your heat tolerance. For a more spicy salad have more seeds, for a mild and less spicy salad have very few seeds.)

Once the corn and quinoa are done cooking add them to the bowl.Then zest the lime and add the lime juice. Add in the spices and toss the salad.




Enjoy the fiesta in your mouth!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment