Sunday, July 21, 2013

Hazelnut Banana Bread with Chocolate Frosting

I have to admit that I am slightly embarrassed that until now I have yet to post a banana themed recipe to my blog AKA Hannah's BANANAS. For a while I could only spell bananas by referencing Gwen Stefanie's catchy song featuring her Harajuku girls, but all can be relieved that at college age I no longer require a song to spell words.
At least I have finally come around to making a banana recipe in honor of my blog name, the nickname that I so often am called by, and lastly by request of my manager who has been begging me to make a banana bread for the office.
I have to say that a warm banana bread goes straight to my Hannah Banana Fe Fi Fo Fana Heart (oh yes, going grade school with that rhyme).
As my first and of course not last, banana featured post, I hope you enjoy my spin on banana bread that is ever so reminiscent of the wonderful I-need-to-dip-my-fingers-in-the-jar Nutella.



Ingredients:

3 ripe mashed bananas
1 stick of room temperature butter
1 egg
1 cup of sugar
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 cup of sour cream or yogurt
1/2 cup of lightly toasted chopped hazelnuts



Frosting ingredients:

2 sticks of vegetable shortening or 2 sticks of room temperature butter
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
4 cups of powdered sugar
5-6 tablespoons of milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract

Directions:

Cream the butter and sugar together. Then add in the banana, eggs, and vanilla.

In another bowl mix the dry ingredients together (flour, baking soda, and cinnamon).

In the oven or toaster oven, lightly toast the hazelnuts at 350 degrees for about 5-8 minutes.

Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the wet in the mixer. Then add in the sour cream or yogurt. Once incorporated, add in the toasted cooled hazelnuts. Be careful to not overmix the batter.



Grease a bunt pan or a loaf pan. Add in the batter and place into a cold oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Once fully baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack. Once completely cooled, remove the banana bread from the pan.

To make the frosting:
Cream the shortening or butter with the powdered sugar.
Then add in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
One tablespoon at a time, add in the milk until a desired consistency is reached. (For this recipes it is best to have a thinner consistency for easy spreading.)

Once the frosting is made, spread a nice layer over the banana bread.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment