Monday, July 1, 2013

Raw Pad Thai

This is my first dedication post. One of my very close friends recently developed a gluten and dairy allergy and keeps asking me to come be her personal chef- a.k.a my life dream of just feeding people (or it's the jewish mom in me that feels the need to constantly feed people until they can't breathe). But I have also been wanting to recreate a similar dish to one I had when out to dinner with my siblings. I think experimenting with raw cooking is cool, since it requires you to be a bit nifty in the kitchen. This dish can also totally be altered for the lazy cook (cough sister cough) as a semi-homemade recipe, but in no way a reference to Sandra Lee and her creepy Stepford Wife demeanor. Although I did once hear a rename to her show- Semi-Whore Made, which I think is all the more entertaining. But back to raw pad thai- this recipe makes a lot, is pretty simply, and not to be bias at all...pretty tasty.



Servings: 6-8 (depending on how large you make the portions)

Ingredients:

3 cups of shredded zucchini
3 cups of shredded carrots
3 cups of shredded broccoli stems
3-4 cups of shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
Basil for garnish

Sauce:
4-5 tablespoons of PB2 (this can easily be replaced by your choice of nut butter, slightly melted down in the microwave to make mixing easier)
5-6 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons of rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons of sesame seed oil
1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated ginger
1 teaspoon of garlic powder




Directions:
Using a food processor, shred all of your veggies.  (For a lazier version, by prepackage shredded veggies, or a shredded broccoli slaw in replacement.)

Combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Pour the sauce over the shredded vegetables and then toss in the sunflower seeds and pepitas. To finish, garnish with fresh basil.

Note: Since this does make A LOT, if planning on having left overs, leave all the ingredients separate in order to avoid soggy vegetables and seeds.


Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment