Sunday, October 13, 2013

Smokey 3 Bean and Beer Chili

As the days began to turn darker earlier and our homes appear to feel colder (or at least my college home which has basically no insulation), a nice bowl of chili is a wonderful thing to have on hand. I tend to make large batches of chili and soups during the weekend to last me throughout the hectic weeks, and this chili is the beginning of those blog posts that seem to just hit the spot for the fall and winter seasons. Although the weeks are often filled with class, research, pondering about graduate programs, and work- cooking is always my relief. This past week a friend called to tell me how she had a vivid dream where she saw a cafe I opened in my college. As she began describing me the decor, the food, prices of the food, and other details, I began to feel that it might be a sign that one day I should open a food establishment. There are so many areas I would love to pursue and it is sometimes difficult to pinpoint just what exactly should remain a hobby, what is practical, and what is that crazy dream you just need to pursue. It was some thinking I had to do after an uneventful and almost tearful meeting with a professor to discuss some graduate programs. But after leaving I had to remember that I still will follow my heart and pursue the innovate career I choose and not let others put my ideas down.
Sometimes we all need a pick-me-up and a gentle reminder to keep pushing towards our goals, and sometimes we need the aid of a freezer-friendly chili to heat up when we cannot fathom cooking dinner.



Servings: 8

Ingredients:
1 cup black beans
1 cup red kidney beans
1 cup great white northern beans
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
2 cups of tomato sauce
1 12 0z can of diced or crushed tomatoes
6 tablespoons of tomato paste
1/2 cup of beer
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons of chili powder
Dash of cayenne pepper to heat preference



Directions:
In a large pot, either use olive oil or cooking spray and heat. Then add in a chopped onion and 2 cloves on minced garlic and allow them to soften.  Then add the beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes (or crushed), tomato paste, and water. Stir the ingredients and allow the mixture to come to a light simmer.

Then add in the spices, beer, and liquid smoke. Cover the pot and allow the chili to simmer for about 25 minutes. Adjust spices to your preference.



Enjoy!
 

2 comments:

  1. yumm . that sounds delish and so easy. do you wash the beans before you add them to the pot or as is from can?
    I can see you running a restaurant ...Hannah"s Healthy Home Cooking...( then add " try it you may like it" ! ) Anyway whatever you decide for your life is only your decision....Do Not let anyone else tell you what you can do ....or what you cannot. There are so many schools out there that will allow you to make your own program...and whatever you do you will be THE BEST .
    love you so much.
    honey

    ReplyDelete
  2. by the way your blog on recipes could be published into a cookbook.....that would be nice too! then you won't have to open a
    restaurant and take that chance!

    ReplyDelete