Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Curried Chickpeas, Tomatoes, and Spinach Millet Salad

Sometimes things happen for a reason and sometimes recipes pop into your head. My past week has been a roller-coaster ride, so it only seemed natural to cook up something to stabilize my hectic week. I was evicted (to be ever so dramatic) from the lease I was suppose to sign for the upcoming school year for silly reasons that made me laugh and cry. I guess they're missing out on eating my food (boo-hoo). I then went out to hear  music at a place where only a few people were lingering, the amp was too loud, and a artist hung around in the back sketching. Accompanied by sad fried food, I once again craved cooking. I then met my boyfriends grandparents and ate an ever so disappointing salad, followed by Super Bowl Sunday which was filled with nachos, wings, and ice cream cake. After that I am pretty sure I couldn't breathe and had to go to bed and hope to eventually digest my food. From odd food intakes to inhaling food till I cannot breath, I only craved the produce sitting away in my fridge asking to be eaten. Lately I have been trying to make food that is easy for on the go, since the only classes I have are two back-to-back night classes. Even though the mass amount of snow canceled class- a bit of cooking always cures a snow day. From my food adventures and craving to yours, enjoy the new recipe in good health, better places to sign a lease, and avoiding mass amounts of snow to shovel.



Servings: 4-5

Ingredients:
1/2 cup of millet
1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 shallot
3 cups of cherry tomatoes, halved
3 cups of chopped spinach
2 teaspoons of cumin seed
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of garam marsala
2 teaspoons of curry powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder



Directions:

Add 1/2 cup of millet to 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring the millet and water to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Cover the pot and allow the millet to cook for 15-20 minutes.

Sauté the shallot and cumin seeds. Once fragrant add in the chickpeas and tomatoes. Allow them to cook for a few minutes. Then add in the spinach and cook until the spinach is slightly wilted and then remove from heat. Then add in the spices and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then mix in the cooked millet.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment