Sunday, April 14, 2013

Braised Kale With Crispy Seitan Strips

One night my brother and I ordered dinner in (a classic move when I tend to trek to Brooklyn to visit him and we get stuck watching an entire show series). We ordered a Kale and Tofu dish from a vegetarian Chinese place (of course that exists in Brooklyn) and it was incredible. From that night I wanted to recreate a similar dish that reminisced my taste buds of the delicious dinner. I came up with Braised Kale with Crispy Seitan, which I keep pronouncing Satan- so yes, I created a recipe thats evil in my personal articulation, but full of nutrients from the kale. 



Servings: 3-4

Ingredients:

1 Large Head of Kale
1 Package of Seitan Strips
1 Cup of Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
1/2 Cup Water



Directions:
To braise the kale, spray a pan with cooking spray and cook the kale until it begins to wilt. Then add the vegetable broth to the kale in a covered pan on low-medium heat for 20-30  minutes. Allow the kale to cook until it becomes tender.

Place the Seitan strips on a baking pan covered with foil. Make sure to spray the foil with cooking spray. Then drizzle olive oil over the Seitan and make sure each piece is coated. Place into a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.



To make the sauce, combine the following:
2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Teriyaki Sauce
1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Teaspoon of Sesame Seed oil
1 Tablespoon of Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Fresh Grated Ginger
Garlic powder to taste


Place the sauce over the Kale and Seitan mix.
Add 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds for garnish.



Happy eating!

1 comment: