Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Curried Chickpeas with Red Lentils

For elementary and middle school I went to an all Jewish day school. For high school, my parents decided to send to me a charter public school that was geared towards the health sciences field. There I met many diverse people. I happened to have made incredible friends from various backgrounds- Indian, Portugese, Italian, and etc. One of my closest friends in high school (and my dedicated physics study-buddy) was Indian and every time I went to her house, my nose would be delighted by the aromas coming from her kitchen. It was there I learned what vegetable biryani was and what classical spices were used in Indian cooking. Ever since then I have loved eating Indian food. Curried Chickpeas with Red Lentils is a dish I somehow came up with by throwing some ingredients into a pot and found that I created a filling entree or a nice side dish for an Indian inspired meal.

Servings: about 4

Ingredients:

2 Teaspoons of Cumin Seeds
1 Small Onion
1/2 Cup of Red Lentil
1 Can of Chickpeas
Olive Oil
2 Cups of Tomato Sauce
1 Tablespoon of Red Curry Paste

Spices: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Curry Powder, Turmeric, Cumin, Cayenne Pepper



Directions:

Heat about 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the cumin seeds and let them cook until they become fragrant.



Then add a chopped onion to the oil and let it soften until the onion becomes translucent.

Once the onion is cooked, add the chickpeas and let them cook for about five minutes.



Next add the Lentils, Tomato Sauce, and about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of water (you want to make sure you have at least double the amount of liquid to the amount of lentils you are cooking-  for one cup of lentils, add 2 cups of water) . Bring the mixture to a simmer and allow it to cook for 30 minutes.

Note: If you see the mix becoming too thick due to the cooking lentils, add more water.

After the lentils appear to have cooked (the mixture will be thick and the lentils will be soft) add the spices and curry paste. Spice to your personal preferences- but remember each spice has a unique flavor that will add to the depth of this Indian inspired dish.




Enjoy with some Biryani, Naan Bread, or by itself!

1 comment: