Friday, April 12, 2013

Stuffed Mexican Sweet Potatoes


I have to say I have a love for Mexican food. My mom and I are always on a constant hunt for a good Mexican place and tend to judge the restaurant based on their tortilla chips and salsa. Yet, there are times when the sour cream, burritos, and enchiladas are just too heavy. Here is a recipe I've adapted from another I've seen before (but I don't remember the link- so sorry originator!) I've made my recipe with Daiya shreds in my attempt to stray from dairy and test out some vegan products, but cheddar cheese tastes just as good,  and will hopefully make some Mariachi music on your taste buds.



Servings: About 4

Ingredients:

2 Sweet Potatoes
1 Can of Black Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
1 Can of Corn (Rinsed and Drained)
1/2 Red Onion (Diced)
1/2  Container of Cherry Tomatoes (Halved)
1/2 Cup Cheddar Cheese or Daiya Cheddar Shreds
Zest of One Lime
Juice of One Lime



Directions:

Nuke the sweet potatoes in the microwave by poking holes all around them using a fork (after rinsing the potato) and wrapping in a paper towel. Then microwave them for 8-9 minutes.

Once cooled, slice the sweet potato in half and scoop out the inside. Place the scooped out middle and mash with a fork.



Take the drained corn and place into a skillet and allow it to dry roast for 5 minutes. Then add the corn to the mashed potatoes.
Then add the black beans, chopped red onion, cherry tomatoes, lime zest, and lime juice to the mix.
Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, and a dash of cayenne pepper and cumin.
Mix the filling and then scoop is back into the potato skin.



Sprinkle cheese on top of the potato and place into a 375 degree oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.



Enjoy with some avocado slices, sour cream, or tortilla chips!

1 comment:

  1. Where can I buy the required stuffed mexicans? whole foods?

    ReplyDelete