Thursday, March 21, 2013

Kale Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

I really love sweet potatoes. Regular potatoes- not such a fan. I tend to think its from overeating baked potatoes as a child- some people had gushers, some people chocolate, for me it was potatoes. (Don't get me wrong, I was a normal candy obsessed child, who was also yelled at by the dentist to stop eating that orange chemical crap- I too was a victim of loving to eat Nachos from the snack machine. I mean seriously they were awesome. Those and spicy Cheez-its, I just couldn't stay away. I guess you can say now I have moved on to a new orange food, and one that is definitely better for you.)
Another love of mine has become kale- whether in salad, smoothies, or various recipes.
Here is a dish where I combined my two (semi-new) food obsessions into a tasty dish.


Ingredients:

2 Sweet Potatoes
Kale (if you only have spinach on hand that can be substituted as well)
1/2 Carton of Mushrooms
1/2 Chopped Onion
1 Can of White Beans (drained and rinsed)




Directions:
Sautee the onion using either cooking spray or olive oil. Once golden add the mushrooms and cook until they are nice and tender.

Then add the chopped kale and cook until the kale becomes wilted.
Laslty, add in the beans and cook until they are heated through.
Add salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and chili powder to taste to the mixture.

Add mashed sweet potato to the mix, and then scoop all the goodness back into the potato skin and enjoy!
(To add some protein, I usually serve this with some eggs.)


To cook the sweet potatoes:



You can either microwave or use the over to cook the potatoes. Personally I opt for the microwave option due to timing and the need the extra time to study, procrastinate and think of more recipes to post  on this blooming blog.

To cook in the microwave I wash and dry the sweet potatoes. I then take a fork and make holes all around the potato. Then I wrap the potato in a paper towel and place it in the microwave for 9 minutes.
Once cooked (it will feel soft to the touch) I cut the sweet potato in half and scoop out the inside. Then in a smaller bowl, using a fork, I mash the sweet potatoes.

To opt for the oven baked option, heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place (whole) sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and place into the oven for 20-30 minutes or until they feel soft when poking them with a fork (and not your finger since getting burnt just ain't fun). Then once they have slightly cooled cut them in half, scoop out the inside, and mash with a fork. Then add the sweet potato to the rest of the veggies.


No comments:

Post a Comment