Friday, March 22, 2013

Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili

I have to say, I love to make all types of chili. Chili was actually a topic in a conversation I had when making a new friend my first year of college. Living in a dorm I was having cooking withdrawal and I was telling this guy I met how I can cook up a pretty solid chili. So he challenged me, and one night I ended up cooking a big batch of chili for a house of many boys. Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili is based off an internet inspiration and a favorite go-to meal of mine, especially since I tend to cook many vegetarian meals. Here's a hearty recipe that will satisfy those hungry bellies and warm you up on a chill-i night! (Haha, yes you can laugh at my super corny joke- I laughed myself too, so you're not alone.)


Servings: 6
Ingredients:

1 Onion
2 Garlic Cloves
1 Can Black Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
1 Can Red Kidney Beans (Rinsed and Drained)
1 Can Crushed/Diced Tomatoes
1/2 Cup Quinoa
1 Sweet Potato peeled and diced


Directions:

Using either olive oil or cooking spray cook down the onions until translucent or browned. Then add in chopped garlic.


Once both are tender and in the sweet potato and allow to cook for about ten minutes to begin to soften.

Then add in the beans and tomatoes. Then add the quinoa and water to thin out the chili. Add at least one cup of water, but around three should do the trick. Then cover the pot and let the chili do its thang. (If the chili quickly thickens just add more water to thin it out a bit.)

Once simmering and the quinoa has cooked (so at least 15 minutes) make sure the sweet potato is nice and tender and cooked thoroughly.

Then season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, and a dash of cayeene for some heat. Season depending on your taste preferences- I prefer a good amount of salt and lots of chili powder. Stir up well and cover the pot once more and allow for the chili to simmer for 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust flavorings to your preferences and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment